Saturday, April 18, 2009

Charlottesville: 90 minutes away

Charlottesville, VA
0454hrs

As I type this, I am now an hour and a half away from the start of the Charlottesville Marathon--a race which starts on the historic campus of the University of Virginia and runs out into the surrounding roads, paths and countryside of Albemarle County. 

I got down here yesterday afternoon and did an interview for the Charlottesville CBS News at 1430hrs. (I will post a link later today.) After picking up my race packet, I drove the race course and it is unquestionably going to be the most challenging marathon I have ever run. From the start line, the race heads uphill and continues to climb through the UVA campus, then heads off campus and into the countryside, making the first 16 miles "net uphill." This means that despite a few flat patches (never seemingly longer than a football field) and an occasional downhill, the majority of the course--minus those flat or descending sections--is all uphill from the start all the way through mile 16. Then, as we head back into downtown Charlottesville,  there is a mile of descent  on the way back before hitting a HUGE hill at mile 23, 24 and 25 on the way to the finish of the 26.2 mile race.

I'll be sure to post an update later this evening when I get back to DC. Thanks for all your letters and emails. I appreciate the support and I am proud of the direction this campaign is heading and of the results we will garner in the months and years ahead. As always, you can reach me with questions, comments or ideas at:

douglas@dlesports.com

No Retreat.

Doug Eldridge
President
DLE Sports