Monday, September 7, 2009

Colorado Springs: 2.5hrs away

As I type this, I am sitting at my window in the Broadmoor Hotel, looking out over a sea of twinkling lights as the rest of Colorado Springs is still fast asleep. Yet, in less than 90 minutes, I will be driving to the start line of the eighth (and unquestionably hardest) marathon of the ten races that comprise the 10-12-100 Campaign: the American Discovery Trail Marathon.

Colorado Springs sits at approximately 6,200 feet above sea level, while the start of the race--some 20 miles and 40 minutes away in Palmer Lake--is closer to 7,200 feet. Though 1,000 feet, spread over 26 miles does not seem alike a lot, that's not really the point; the point is the difference between 7,200 feet and sea level (0 feet) which is what I come from in D.C. The difference is staggering. 

I did two training runs out here and I was wheezing like a fat kid in gym class who dreaded the "mile day" every semester. For a guy who already has a deveated septem and the beginnings of a sinus infection, the thin, dry air has caused nose bleeds, shortness of breath and overall lethargy...not the makings of a solid marathon by any means. 

Then again, that was the entire premise of this campaign from conception to execution: courage in the face of self-doubt, success in the face of near certain defeat. Not so much for me, but for the thousands of young soldiers for whom this campaign is dedicated. It is their courage, their tenacity, their unwavering commitment to the completion of the mission that inspires me. That is what drives me when my right knee hurts, when my back seizes up in the middle of the night, when my breathing wheezes and whistles at elevation and my heart rate soars through the roof. It is the certainty that if roles were reversed, those very young men and women for whom I am doing this, would themselves be up and making their way to the start line as well. That is the commonality of purpose we all share, the binding nature of American citizenship that runs through our veins. The commitment to God, country, and each other. 

My hotel is located a few short miles from the Air Force Academy, on what I assume to be Parents Weekend. All the young cadets are in their dress blues, visiting with their parents and girlfriends for a few hours of precious leave from campus. Their pride in their uniform is apparent by their posture, presence and bold smile as they greet family and friends. The next generation of American defenders, tyranny's liberators, and the real providers of hope and change across countries and continents that have long since forgotten the meaning of such words. 

We have a lot to be proud of as Americans. 

So here goes number eight. 26 miles of muddy trails at nose-bleeding altitude with an aching back and a throbbing knee. When I think of these young cadets who today know Parents Weekend and next month might know deployment, I am inspired, I am refocused, and I am ready. 

I am only one man running these marathons, but I have an Army to my back and a sea of faces in my heart. 

Onward.

Doug Eldridge
President
DLE Sports